ERP is an industry acronym for Enterprise Resource Planning, but even the full name doesn’t give a great explanation of what ERP does. Broadly, ERP refers to a system that automates and integrates a company’s core business elements to increase efficiency and simplify operations. It is a comprehensive system that includes all the software pieces you might need to run your manufacturing operation.
The right ERP will allow your business to:
- Grow by providing reliable information upon which to base important business decisions.
- Create efficiencies by helping automate tasks so you and your employees can shift focus to value-added activities and spend less time on administrative tasks.
- Consolidate disparate databases and improves data accuracy by providing a single source of truth that enables improved communication between departments and no need for duplicating the entry of any piece of information.
- Define processes to manage regulatory requirements, maintain compliance and historical record needs.
- Improve your on-hand inventory visibility, increase accuracy and reduce overhead with accurate material planning and inventory controls.
- Quantify the cost of labor, time, and equipment, and know exactly how much material and labor every order, part, and operation consume.
- Manage sales and customer support teams with tracking and accurate delivery information from the start.
- Build meaningful reports from the plethora of data to make sound business decisions.
- Access every detail about a client from one screen, including order inquiries, billing information, invoices, and both past and current orders.
- Analyze data in real-time for better, faster decision making.
- Increase visibility across department and provide a better understanding of how each facet of the organization operates and ultimately enhanced teamwork.
ERP software helps to eliminate redundant processes and systems, dramatically lowering the cost of doing business overall. With ERP, you can rid yourself of duplicate data entries in disparate databases, unpredictable cost, quality and accuracy, and employee downtime, all of which cost you time and money.
Learn more about the benefits of ERP and what to look for when choosing an ERP provider by downloading The Complete Guide to ERP whitepaper.
Stay on top of industry trends and insights.
Subscribe to the Big Ideas for SMBs blog.